Interesting facts about Barcelona:
1. There were no beaches in Barcelona until 1992. The seaside of Barcelona was full of plants and factories. Then, due to the fact that Barcelona was hosting the Olympic Games, it was decided to change it into a leisure zone with hotels, restaurants and long sandy beaches. Nowadays there are quite a few beaches in Barcelona.
2. The FC Barcelona home stadium - the Camp Nou, is the largest stadium in Europe and 2rd largest in the world, with capacity of almost 100,000 people
3. Museum of FC Barcelona is the most visited museum in Catalonia.
4. Fans of the FC Barcelona are known as culés, the Catalan word for ‘asses’. This nickname derives from the fact that the old stadium of Barcelona was so small and low that many fans had to sit on top of the edge of the stadium and people walking the street nearby could see their back sides
5. The Basilica of Sagrada Familia has taken longer to build than the Great Pyramids and is still not finished.
6. The famous street Las Ramblas actually contains 5 different avenues.
7. Barcelona occupies 100,40 sq km
8. The most crowded street in Spain is called 'Portal de Angel', in the center of Barcelona. Every hour 3500 people throng this street.
9. Barcelona is ranked the 4th most comfortable city for business.
10. There are two official languages in Barcelona: Spanish and Catalan.
11. Many world famous painters were living in Barcelona at one point in their lives: Pablo Picasso, Joan Miro, Salvador Dali, Enrique Tabara, and many others.
12. The Montjuic park in Barcelona is the largest park in Spain (203ha).
13. The Port of Barcelona is the largest port on the Mediterranean Sea.
14. Ten percent of the City is covered by parks.
15. All taxis in Barcelona are of the same color – black and yellow.
16. Barcelona is Europe’s largest metropolis on the Mediterranean coast, and also the sixth most populated urban area in Europe after Paris, London, Ruhr, Madrid & Milan.
17. Flamenco is not well known and very popular in Barcelona. They prefer contemporary rock-n-roll scene.
18. Gaudí was not the original architect of Sagrada Familia, Francisco de Paula del Villar was the first architect to be in charge of the design of the church.
19. Barcelona's local holiday - Sant Jordi’s day, when people buy flowers and books for the loved oned.
20. The worst drivers in the world are considered to be Barcelona’s drivers. Accident occurs here every 19 seconds.
21. Twelve underground metro station are abandoned in Barcelona. They can be visited during special events such as The Scary Nights. They have also been us for movies.